Let’s face it:
You won’t hit the bullseye every time, no matter how good of a player you are.
And that’s when having the best dart mat indeed comes in handy – the darts end up on a protective surface, instead of diving head-first into your hardwood floor.
Of course, that’s not the only advantage, but more on that later – so, keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Best Dart Mats: Comparison Chart
- Do You Need A Dart Mat – And Why?
- Best Dart Mat On The Market: My Top 5 Recommendations
- #1 - Shot! Darts Professional Dart Mat – Editor’s Choice
- #2 - ZAAP Heavy Duty Throw Line Rubber Dart Mat – The Runner Up
- #3 - Viper Padded Throw/Toe Line Dart Mat – Best Selling Dart Mat
- #4 - Dart World Let's Play Darts Dart Mat – Best Rubber Dart Mat For Home Use
- #5 - Winmau Soft-Feel Dart Mat – The Upgrade Choice
- How To Choose The Best Dart Mat: A Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide
- And The Best Dart Mat Is...
Top 3 Best Dart Mats: Comparison Chart
I know you're interested to see how the best dart mats compare to one another, so check out this comparison chart of the top three models on the market:
Do You Need A Dart Mat – And Why?
Even the best of players make mistakes – and costly ones, too – which is why mats are one of the essential pieces of equipment for dart games.
And I can give you three pretty good reasons why, too:
1. Floor Protection
Before you dismiss the idea of getting one, take a moment to consider how much money you invested in your floor. You wouldn’t want to destroy it by letting dart tips gouge right into it, now, would you?
A dart board floor mat is not infallible, but it will be your first line of defense, and one of the surest ways to keep your play area in pristine condition.
They don’t call it dart board floor protection for nothing, you know?
2. Dart Protection
Whenever you have a "bounce-out," the first thing that goes through your head is probably something along the lines of:
I hope I didn’t damage the dart’s tip!
Well, having a mat could put you to rest – and it’s certainly more affordable than buying a new set of darts every time.
3. Toe Line
Now, I know you’re probably reading this, thinking:
But isn’t a piece of tape enough to mark the throw line?
And you’re right. It’s enough – in most cases, that is. Here’s when it wouldn’t work, though:
So, yes, getting the best dart mat with throw lines might be a good idea if you want to keep your dart game fair!
Best Dart Mat On The Market: My Top 5 Recommendations
Okay, it’s time for my in-depth dart mat reviews – let’s dig in!
When it comes to floor protection, industrial-grade rubber dart mat is the way to go.
Now, you might think that three millimeters aren’t enough thickness-wise, but the low profile certainly has its benefits, most notable one being the minimized risk of tripping, especially in high foot traffic areas.
I want to add that the non-curling design, which ensures the mat lays flat at all times, also plays a significant "safety" role.
Most importantly, it features official steel tip and soft tip dart throw lines, which makes it the perfect addition to any game room setting.
That said, I feel like they could’ve made it a bit wider because right now, I don’t feel like it’s covering a wide enough surface to catch all stray darts.
Also, it has a slight rubbery odor – but it should go away after a couple of days or so.
If you want a mat with a professional feel to it, look no further – the ZAAP is the way to go.
The mat features four oche lines, which makes it suitable for all play levels, be it friendly or competitive.
Since it's made from heavy-duty, durable rubber, the mat is thick enough to provide sufficient floor protection, even when you’re playing with steel tip darts. Moreover, the anti-slip design, paired with the weight, keeps it in place throughout the game.
Plus, I liked the fact that it’s so compact and easy to roll up when it’s not in use.
You know what I didn’t appreciate, though?
As soon as I unpacked the mat, the entire room started smelling like rubber, and it took me days to air it out completely. It’s not a big deal, but consider yourself warned.
If you’re wondering what your fellow players are using, chances are they own a Viper dart mat!
It’s made from soft, cushioned vinyl, but at the same time, it has a heavy-duty feel to it, which is always a plus when it comes to dart board floor mats.
Moreover, the toe lines are embossed and show precise distances for both steel and soft tip dart games.
Oh, and thanks to the Roll Flex material, rolling it up in-between games is a breeze.
Now, besides the fact that it’s a not-so-affordable option, there’s one more issue I need to warn you about:
It doesn’t stay in place.
It slips out of position by an inch or two as soon as you step on it. Overall, it’s one of the best dart game floor mats out there, but the constant adjusting is a bit of a hassle.
If you want to bring a little competitiveness into playing darts, what better way to do so than with a mat that’s suitable for both home use and tournaments?
The throw lines are painted on with visibility in mind, and the non-slip micro grip layer keeps the mat in place – everything you need for a good game!
Made from durable rubber – although only three millimeters thick – this Dart World mat will do an excellent job at protecting your darts if they bounce out of the board.
That said, it won’t do much for the surface you’re playing on – I feel like it’s way too thin to keep steel tip darts from going all the way through to the floor.
Moreover, it has that strong rubber smell, so leave it outside for a couple of days before you use it for the first time.
Made from dense fiber that feels both soft and durable at the same time, this mat is a stylish piece of equipment that surely won’t go unnoticed, and if you’re okay with spending large amounts of cash, the Winmau is the perfect choice for you!
The rubber underlay is there to ensure that it stays in place, so you won’t have to put your game on pause to readjust the mat all the time.
Another one of my favorite features is the oche measurements. Of course, most dart mats have these, but the Winmau promises to use official tournament specifications.
It’s relatively thin, though, which made me question its ability to catch "bounce-outs" and provide floor protection. A few additional inches in width wouldn’t hurt, either.
As I mentioned earlier, it’s costly, so it’s safe to say that it’s not for everyone’s pocket.
How To Choose The Best Dart Mat: A Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide
Now that you went through my reviews, it’s time to see what it takes to pick the best one out of the bunch!
Okay, first things first:
Pay attention to the materials used for your mat and make sure they're compatible with your dartboard area.
When it's time to pick the best dart mat materials, remember the following:
Non-Slip Design And Surface Compatibility
Sure, the mat might have a non-slip underlay, but don’t forget to factor in the different surfaces you’ll be using it on, including:
Some will undoubtedly perform better on bare floors, while others will stand their ground even on rugs – it all comes down to what you need!
Visible – And Accurate – Throw Lines
While they play a significant protective role, dart board floor mats can be more than helpful in setting up your game area correctly. And, as you probably know, there are some essential rules to be followed, including distance regulations.
So, before you purchase a mat, check if the throw lines are not only adequately labeled and visible, but accurate, as well!
Can You Get A Good Deal?
Well, I’ll be honest with you:
Dart mats are not a very competitive market.
As a result, the manufacturers can dictate their prices without worrying about the competition, and most dart mats come with a not so budget-friendly price tag, with the average being around 70 bucks.
You won’t find any cheap dart mats, but spending a bit more to protect both your darts and your floor is a worthwhile investment, nonetheless.
And The Best Dart Mat Is...
Every single one of these mats will get the job done, but you’re here to find the best dart mat – and that’s the Shot! Darts Professional Dart Mat.
- MADE FROM INDUSTRIAL GRADE RUBBER-Use this professional, heavy-duty darts mat to protect your floor from stray darts. At 9 kilos in weight, the Shot Darts Rubber Mat won't move or slide on the floor and will stay firmly in place. This mat also adds protection to your dart steel or soft tip darts, and it can save on broken parts when the darts bounce out of the dartboard onto the floor. Cushion your darts from bounce-outs by this thick and durable dart mat with its shock-absorbing benefits.
- THROW LINES- Includes easy to see and read, official soft tip dart and steel tip dart throw lines, so you will always know where to stand. This dart mat is used by professionals at dart tournaments but can be used and enjoyed in the games room at home or the office, in practice sessions or with games with friends.
- NONE CURLING- Measuring out to be 9ft 9" (2995mm) L x 2ft (625mm) W the Shot Dart Mat does not curl up at the ends! Suitable for all floor types, for steel and soft tip play. It's easy on the feet and helps you play your best and combats fatigue in those long practise sessions and dart games.
- EASY TO STORE-The no-hassle Shot Rubber Dart Mat can easily be rolled up and stored in any cabinet or on a shelf if required.
- Since 1970, Shot Darts dedication is to bring you the best professional and quality darts and dart products on the market. We stand behind the high quality of our products and design for professional and casual players alike, for improved results. Dart Mats make a perfect gift and add a professional and finished look to any dart lane set up at home or at tournaments.
With a heavy-duty rubber body and four different oche lines, it’s suitable for all play levels. Whether you're an absolute newbie or a "pro in the making," I'm sure you'll appreciate the protection and game regulations it provides.
Would you agree with my choice or do you have a personal favorite, too? Let me know in the comments below!